The Big Horse Handicapper provides a weekly handicapping column to the USTA covering races on Friday and Saturday. The USTA has given the Big Horse Handicapper a $100 mythical bankroll each week for wagering.
This week we will be handicapping Scioto Downs for Ohio Sire Stakes Action on Saturday, along with a great program coming from Pocono Downs also Saturday night. Pocono’s action includes Pennsylvania Sire Stakes Championships.
Last weekend was no good for this handicapper as we went 0 for 6 at Mohawk. It was a longshot player’s dream last Saturday as two horses on the program paid a hefty $95.70 and $135.70 to win.
Heading into weekend #97 we have wagered $9,516 and have cashed $7,586.
Good luck everyone!
Big Horse Selections for Saturday, September 6
Scioto Downs Race #3 **$40,000 Ohio Sire Stakes 2-year-olds**
(8) Cooter Dunn (5-2) has shown tremendous speed and owns a mark of 1:58.4 at Northfield Park. He has returned to his winning ways capturing victory in the last two in the fair stakes and is the one to beat. (4) I Know My Chip (8-5) has been first or second in 7 of his 8 career races and again will be a major factor.
The Play: $10 Exacta 8-4 Cost: $10
Scioto Downs Race #11 **$40,000 Ohio Sire Stakes 3-year-old Colts**
(6) Friskie Adam (3-5) has been sensational, unbeaten in his 3-year-old campaign and will look for his 9th win this year. (4) Diamond Keeper (6-1) has been the runner-up twice to Friskie Adam and draws inside of his main competition. He has been in the money in 7 of 10 and again could complete the Exacta.
The Play: $10 Exacta 6-4 Cost: $10
Scioto Downs Race #14
(9) Playin For Keeps (4-1) won off the $15,000 claim two starts back after being parked every step of the way. He was cleverly placed right back into this starter allowance class and despite the post will again be a major player.
The Play: $15 to win #9 and $1 Trifecta 9/25/all & $1 Trifecta 9/all/25 Cost: $47
Pocono Downs Race #1
(9) Solar Surprise (7-2) comes off a victory beating better competition last time out and drawing away in a lifetime best 1:50.2. He just fits this condition by only $5 and will likely be gunning early in search of an encore effort. (6) JJ Shark (10-1) could provide value to our play. He makes his second start at Pocono and picks up Pierce after getting lots of mutuel attention last time out.
The Play: $1 Trifecta 9/6/all and $1 Trifecta 9/all/6 Cost: $14
Pocono Downs Race #3 **$50,000 Pennsylvania Sire Stakes Championship Consolation**
(8) Explosive Drama (5-1) merits attention as he is the lone winner in the field. He has won two of his six lifetime races and holds a 1:57.3 mark. He made a break last time out, but if he returns to his previous form, he certainly could be a major player.
The Play: $5 to win and place #8 Cost: $10
Pocono Downs Race #10 ** $260,000 PA Sire Stakes Championships**
(6) Smexi (6-1) has been very consistent and has been coming close to victory in each of her last three races. She just missed last time out after firing out fast, securing a pocket trip and blasting home with a :28 last quarter. She seems to be on the improve and may be ready to take another step up in here. (7) Wild Honey (5-2) is the one to beat. She has reeled off four straight victories and will likely be the betting favorite.
The Play: $5 Exacta 6-7 and a $4 Exacta 7-6 Cost: $9