The Big Horse Handicapper provides a weekly handicapping column to the USTA covering races on Friday and Saturday. The USTA has given the Big Horse Handicapper a $100 mythical bankroll each week for wagering.
Grand Circuit Action will continue this weekend at Mohawk Raceway this Saturday Night! Mohawk features many discounted wagering options including $.20 Trifectas, Superfectas, Pick-3’s and Pick-4’s. It gives an opportunity for small bettors to take a big shot for a small cost if they elect to bet against some of the heavy favorites that will be competing throughout the program.
A C$75,000 Guaranteed Pick-4 pool awaits in race four. Also, don’t forget about the hefty $.20 Jackpot High 5 wager that takes place in race twelve. The carryover is C$647,331 and it will be paid out Saturday night. The Jackpot High 5 requires bettors to correctly select the top five finishers.
Last weekend we cashed for $23 from our mythical $100 bankroll. Heading into weekend #96 we have wagered $9,416 and have cashed for $7,586.
Good Luck Everyone!
Big Horse Selections for Saturday, August 30
Mohawk Race #3 **C$25,000 3-Year-Old Open Pace**
(9) Dancin Hill (5-1) was outstanding last time out when sent to the front and exploded in the stretch boasting a :26.2 last quarter. This young colt has been showing vast improvement and must overcome this tough post here.
The Play: $10 to win #9 Cost: $10
Mohawk Race #4 **C$207,689 Simcoe 3-Year-Old Filly Pace**
(7) Beach Gal (5-2) has been first or second in seven of her 10 races this year and comes off an amazing victory making up over 10 lengths to score last time out with a :26.1 last quarter. This filly is ultra-sharp right now and possesses that lethal stretch kick that will make her very tough once again.
The Play: $8 Exacta 7-5 and 7-6 Cost: $16
Mohawk Race #5 **C$480,000 She’s a Great Lady 2-Year-old Filly Pace**
(3) JK Shesalady (8-5) is a perfect 5 for 5 in her young career and has been installed as the 8-5 morning line favorite. (2) Band of Angels (9-5) is also a perfect 6 for 6 and is the second favorite. (3) JK Shesalady will be driven by Gingras which is rare he would pick off a Burke trainee. Also, JK Shesalady has been showing much faster last halfs and will be our choice. We will be looking for value as we try to complete the exacta with #1, 6 and 7.
The Play: $6 Exacta 3-1 $6 Exacta 3-6 and $6 Exacta 3-7 Cost: $18
Mohawk Race #7 **C$667,000 Metro Final 2-Year-old Pacers**
(3) Artspeak (3-5) is going to be a very short price, but is the only 2 year-old to show a 1:50 mile in the field and has yet to taste defeat as he is a perfect 5 for 5 so far in his career. He draws inside; he loves to race near the front and is the one to beat.
The Play: $8 Exacta 3-2 and $8 Exacta 3-8 Cost: $16
Mohawk Race #9 **C$218,076 Simcoe 3-Year-old Open Trot**
Hambletonian Champion Trixton (6-5) draws the second tier and will have to possibly overcome traffic with his draw, but he is the best trotter right now and has won 7 of his 9 races this year. He simply overpowers others in the field consistently showing those :27 last quarters and is simply faster than others in here. (6) Il Sogno Dream (5-1) raced well in the Hambletonian to finish 4th, then came back to score at the Meadows. He is a solid trotter that deserves a big chance here.
The Play: $1 Trifecta 11/6/all and 11/all/6 Cost: $20
Mohawk Race #10 **C$634,000 Canadian Pacing Derby Final**
(3) Sweet Lou (4-5) will get all the attention winning his 10th straight last time out. He is very tough when he makes the front and will be short priced again. We will take a shot with two other Burke trained horses that have been racing well (6) Foiled Again who was very live in the stretch with that :25:3 last quarter, and #8 Bettors Edge (7-1) who almost had Sweet Lou’s number at Hoosier Park as he just missed pulling the upset.
The Play: $1 Trifecta 78/378/2346789 Cost: $20