The Big Horse Handicapper provides a weekly handicapping column to the USTA covering races on Friday and Saturday. The USTA has given the Big Horse Handicapper a $100 mythical bankroll each week for wagering.
This weekend our focus will be on Yonkers Raceway Friday night and on Mohawk Raceway Saturday night. The Mohawk card will feature Grand Circuit racing with Stake eliminations for the Metro Pace, the She’s A Great Lady and the Canadian Pacing Derby.
Many eyes will be on the heavily favored Sweet Lou who is in the Canadian Pacing Derby elimination and has now reeled off an unbelievable six consecutive 1:47 miles. Also on the card is our sport’s richest standardbred, Foiled Again.
Mohawk Raceway offers many discounted wagering options including $.20 cent Triactors, $.20 Pick-3’s, $.20 Pick-4’s and $.20 Superfectas. Don’t be afraid to jump into the Guaranteed Pick-4 pool. There will be a C$50,000 Guarantee on the Pick-4 beginning with Race four.
Last weekend we cashed for $64 from our $100 in mythical wagers. Heading into weekend #95 we have wagered $9,316 and have cashed for $7,563.
We are in for a great weekend, so be sure to head out to your local racetrack and don’t miss any of this week’s exciting action!
Big Horse Selections for Friday and Saturday, August 22-23
Friday, August 22
Yonkers Raceway Race #4
(2) Putnams Attack (5-1) was claimed for $20,000 from his last start for his new connections and draws inside. He was a winner two starts back off a pocket trip and has been on the board in 13 of his 21 races so far this year. He had little chance last time out with post 8, but has drawn much better and should be much closer early. (1) JW Racer (7-5) will take heavy play having drawn the rail and picking up Brennan as he comes off a lifetime best 1:51.4 at Harrah’s Philadelphia last time out.
The Play: $10 Exacta 2-1 and $10 to win #2 Cost: $20
Yonkers Raceway Race #5
(8) Mugshot Jess (8-1) will have to have a lot of racing luck having drawn the toughest post. He finished a closing second last time out with Sratton driving. He has won over $160,000 in the last two years and is a quality trotter. He drops down a spot in here.
The Play: $5 to win and place #8 Cost: $10
Yonkers Raceway Race #7
(2) Bingo Queen (5-1) has now drawn inside for three consecutive races. She shows very good last quarters and should be racing near the lead here. She is usually a nice price on the tote board and must be considered as a main contender here.
The Play: $10 to win and place #1 Cost: $20
Yonkers Raceway Race #8
(1) Bee A Magician (5-2) will be the likely favorite, but has won only once in her seven starts this year. As a 3-year-old she had a huge campaign when she went a perfect 17 for 17 earning over $1.5 Million. We will take a shot and use her second in the Exacta with (2) Somebody As (5-1) who is fresh off a win against similar, and (5) Theraputic (7-1) who went wire to wire facing similar two starts back.
The Play: $5 Exacta 2-1 and $5 Exacta 5-1 Cost: $10
Saturday, August 23
Mohawk Race #4 **C$35,000 She’s A Great Lady Elimination**
(8) Kays Dragon Lady (5-1) has raced extremely well in all of her 5 career starts so far. She has 4 second place finishes to her credit and has been showing speed at both ends of her miles. She was solid two starts back just missing at Pocono Downs in a 1:51.4 mile and could be overlooked a bit with her outside draw in here.
The Play: $7 to win and place #8 and $3 Exacta 8-2 and $3 Exacta 8-3. Cost: $20
Mohawk Race #6 **C$40,000 Metro Pace Elimination**
(6) Asap Hanover (5-1) was strong in his qualifier three starts back at the Meadowlands boasting a :26.4 last quarter. He went on in his next start with a powerful first-over move to score in 1:53.3, then in his last start, just never fired as he disappointed as the favorite. This young Somebeachsomewhere colt appears to have talent and deserves another look here.
The Play: $5 Exacta 6-1 and $5 Exacta 6-3 Cost: $10
Mohawk Race #11 **C$40,000 Metro Pace Elimination**
(5) Artspeak (4-5) is the one to beat. He is the only 2-year-old in this field to go in 1:50.4, which he did two starts back at the Meadowlands finishing his mile with a solid :26.3 last quarter. He has tons of early speed and will be very tough to beat. (1) The Wayfaring Man (10-1) was first or second in all but his last race where he finished fourth. He draws inside again and has been showing very fast late speed.
The play: $10 Exacta 5-1 Cost: $10