The Big Horse Handicapper provides a weekly handicapping column to the USTA covering races on Friday and Saturday. The USTA has given the Big Horse Handicapper a $100 mythical bankroll each week for wagering.
This weekend we will focus our plays at Northfield Park on Friday night. Northfield Park will feature their richest race in the 57 year history of its half mile track, the $400,000 Milstein Memorial. Heavily favored in the Milstein is Mcwicked who puts his five race win streak on the line and draws the rail position.
The young horses also are rolling into town as the Ohio Sire Stakes will be featured throughout the Friday program.
Last weekend of our $100 mythical bankroll we cashed for $52. Heading into weekend #94, we have wagered $9,216 and have cashed for $7,498.
Good Luck Everyone!
Big Horse Selections for Northfield Park Friday, August 15th
Northfield Park Race #1 **$40,000 Ohio Sire Stakes 2 year old Colt & Gelding Trot**
(5) Cooter Dunn (4-1) made a break in his last start at Scioto, but prior to that was sensational at Northfield Park taking his lifetime mark in 1:58:4. This young trotter has shown he has speed and talent and can be very tough to beat when he stays trotting. (7) Neely’s Messenger (7-5) is the obvious choice having won 3 of his 4 races and continuing to show strong last quarters.
The Play: $6 Exacta 5-7 and $2 Trifecta Key 5/17 and 5/37 Cost: $14
Northfield Park Race #2 **$40,000 Ohio Sire Stakes 2 year old Colt & Gelding Pace**
(6) Gray Camo (7-5) is a perfect 4 for 4 in his young career for Team Burke. This gelding has shown fast early seed and loves to race on or near the front. He will be firing out again and should be very tough to deny. (1) Nobles Finesse (5-2) Has won all but two of his lifetime races, both defeats to our top choice. He does have a big post edge on his main rival here and is another who loves to roll out fast from the gate.
The Play: $5 Trifecta 6/1/25 Cost: $10
Northfield Park Race #4
(6) Bittersweet Dreams (8-1) has had two giant races since joining the Ursitti barn. She took her lifetime mark two starts back in 1:55 drawing away when facing softer competition. Last time out she equaled that effort after being parked out in a huge :54:4 first half. She picks up Ron Pierce here and is a longshot to consider in this field.
The Play: $10 to win #6 Cost: $10
Northfield Park Race #6 **$40,000 Ohio Sire Stakes 2 year old Colt & Gelding Pace**
(6) Ollie Pop (4-1) raced well three starts back at Northfield when drawing post 8 to the undefeated Gray Camo. Ollie Pop showed good speed that night to secure a three hole trip early and powered home in :28:3. Although he was no match for the winner that night, it still was a solid effort,he draws a touch better and there is no Gray Camo in this field.
The Play: $8 to win and place #6 Cost: $16
Northfield Park Race #7
We are going to go long here and take a chance with (9) Stonebridge Damsel (12-1). It appears that the speed will come from (1) Sam’s Shuffle who is dropping down in class and drawing the rail. Our pick starts from the second tier and if able to work out a trip early, she could show up in the stretch. She has overcame some very tough trips in her latest races and shows very good last quarter speed.
The Play: $5 to win and place #9 Cost: $10
Northfield Park Race #8
(5) Western Vintage (4-1) Raced large last time out in making his first start since June 21st. Western Vintage closed from far back to just miss in 1:49:4 last time as he made up over 7 lengths in his mile. He was a $316,000 winner in just 8 starts as a two year old and he must be considered here. (2) National Debt (5-2) is the logical choice after powering home in :27 in his last two races to just miss victory. He has scary fast speed and draws the perfect post position.
The Play: $1 Trifecta 5/2/13468 and $1 Trifecta 5/13468/2 Cost: $10
Northfield Park Race #9
(7) Victory is Coming (4-1) has a big chance in this highly competitive Open Trot race. She comes off a solid victory when she took her lifetime mark last time out for Ronnie Wrenn Jr. in 1:52:4. She has won a remarkable 45 of her 105 career races and will need a trip, but she always gives a solid effort.
The Play: $1 Trifecta 7/345/134568 Cost: $15
Northfield Park Race #11 **$400,000 Carl Milstein Memorial Pace**
(1) McWicked (3-5) was supplemented to this race by his connections as they shelled out $34,000 to make him eligible. He has been on a tear lately winning five races in a row including the $500,000 Hempt Final and the $400,000 Adios Final. He draws the perfect post to showcase his speed and again will be very tough to deny. (4) Tellitlikeitis (6-1) Has hit the board in all but one of his 6 races this year. He finished a strong second in the North American Cup and showed a big :25:4 last quarter two starts back at the Meadowlands. He has very fast early speed and will likely be looking for position close to the front in here.
The Play: $5 Trifecta 1/4/256 Cost: $15