The Big Horse Handicapper provides a weekly handicapping column to the USTA covering races on Friday and Saturday. The USTA has given the Big Horse Handicapper a $100 mythical bankroll each week for wagering.
This weekend we will head out to the Hoosier state as Hoosier Park will host one of their premier events, the $250,000 Dan Patch Invitational. In this year’s field there will be nine starters, all on the gate, highlighted by pacing sensation Sweet Lou who is looking for his ninth straight victory and closing in on $3 Million in earnings.
We had a great Hambletonian weekend. We selected the winner of both the Hambletonian Oaks (Lifetime Pursuit $22), and the Hambletonian (Trixton $10.60).
Last weekend of our $100 mythical bankroll we cashed for $286. Heading into weekend #93 we have wagered $9,116 and have cashed for $7,446.
Good luck everyone!
Big Horse Selections for Dan Patch Night, Friday, August 8
Race #2 **$25,000 Indiana Sire Stakes 2-year-old filly pace**
(5) Glitter Rocks (4-1) left fast from the inside to lead early, then got shuffled all the way back to 8th as she turned for home. That race had several lead changes, and this filly was unable to get racing room until late in her mile. When she finally found room she closed strong, but it was just too late for a top two finish. I think we will see a big effort from her in here.
The Play: $10 to win and place #5 Cost: $20
Race #5 **$75,000 Indiana Sire Stakes 2-year-old filly trot**
(5) Churita (4-1) has yet to miss a top three finish in all four starts of her young career. In her latest she was powerful in the stretch and drawing clear at the finish. She draws the perfect spot in the center of the gate and again should be very good here.
The Play: $6 Exacta 5/134 Cost: $18
Race #6 **$75,000 Indiana Sire Stakes (2-year-old and gelding trot**
(6) Airman Batten (8-5) will be a very tough favorite to beat in here, he has won all but one of his five career races. In his only defeat, he broke stride leaving and still made up over 10 lengths in his mile to finish third. He holds a victory in a sharp 1:57 and it is his race to win or lose. (8) Remind Me Later (10-1) left hard last time and finished second at 74-1 to our top choice. He again is expected to show speed and get position.
The Play: $5 Exacta 6-8 and $1 Trifecta 6/8/all and 6/all/8 Cost: $21
Race #11 **$25,000 Greg Haston Memorial Invitational Pace**
(4) Itrustyou (9-2) is one of two Ron Burke trainees in here with the other being the probable favorite (8) Nitro (3-1). Itrustyou comes off a solid victory going gate to wire after being caught three-wide to the quarter and showing a big :27 last quarter. He is in very sharp form and has very powerful last quarter speed.
The Play: $6 to win and place #4 and a $3 Exacta 4/278 Cost: $21
Race #12 **$250,000 Dan Patch Invitational**
(5) Sweet Lou (4-5) continues to dominate and will put his eight race win streak on the line. He has now paced five straight miles in 1:47 and was very impressive in his latest in the US Pacing Championship on Hambletonian Day. (3) Night Pro (20-1) paced a big mile at Northfield Park two starts back in the Battle of Lake Erie and loves his home track Hoosier Park. He has an amazing win percentage 22 of 30 lifetime victories, and is a solid racehorse that brings his best each and every time.
The Play: $2 Trifecta 5/3/12678 and 5/12678/3 Cost: $20