The Big Horse Handicapper provides a weekly handicapping column to the USTA covering races on Friday and Saturday. The USTA has given the Big Horse Handicapper a $100 mythical bankroll each week for wagering.
It is going to be an exciting weekend as we are geared up for one of Northfield Park’s premier events, The Battle of Lake Erie! The Battle takes place this Saturday night along with a host of Ohio Sire Stakes events in what looks to be a great 15 race program!
This year’s Battle of Lake Erie shapes up to be a great race as the morning line favorite and world’s richest pacer, Foiled Again draws a tough post 7. On the flip side, Night Pro who has won six straight races in Indiana will test key Grand Circuit competition and starts from post position one.
As we head north and across the border Saturday night, Mohawk raceway hosts their classic trotting event, the Maple Leaf Trot. The newly crowned world’s fastest trotter Sebastian K headlines the field of 10.
Last weekend we cashed for $36 from our $100 mythical bankroll. Heading into weekend #90 we have wagered $8,819 and have cashed $6,734.
Good luck everyone!
Big Horse Selections for Saturday, July 19
Northfield Park Race #1
(5) Cooter Dunn (7-2) has tremendous speed and seems to be one that needs to learn how to control it. He built up a huge lead and was trotting strong two starts back before making a break eliminating his chances. Last time out at a fair he scored a going away victory from a pocket trip. If he behaves, he could be a major force on the Ohio Stakes Circuit this year.
The Play: $10 to win #5 Cost: $10
Northfield Park Race #3
(3) Neely’s Messenger (4-1) made a break as the favorite in his Scioto debut two starts back, but then came back to get into contention making up over 25 lengths in his mile. He qualified over Northfield last time sporting a 1:00.1 last half with a strong :29.3 last quarter. He draws the perfect post to be very good in here. (7) I Know My Chip (5-2) is a perfect two-for-two in his young career and is the one to beat.
The Play: $2 Trifecta 3/7/2456 and $1 Trifecta 3/2456/7 Cost: $12
Northfield Park Race #5
(2) Kick a Lot (2-1) was cruising to the finish last time out when going wire to wire at Scioto Downs and flashing a :28.2 last quarter. If he comes back to that race, the others are in trouble once again as he looks to be the one to beat here. (4) Chips A Million (7-2) gave a valiant try last time in finishing second, but the winner was just too much and that again could be the case in here.
The Play: $5 Trifecta 2/4/56 Cost: $10
Northfield Park Race #6
(1) Friskie Adam (7-5) is a perfect five for five-this-year and comes off a strong qualifier at Scioto in prepping for this event. He loves to be on or near the front and draws inside; he will be fired up right from the start. (3) Diamondkeeper (9-2) was unbelievable last time out as he was buried along the pylons with absolutely no room, then exploded with a savvy drive from Grismore in the stretch. He was flying at the finish and could be very tough again.
The Play: $15 Exacta 1-3 Cost: $15
Northfield Park Race #12 **The Battle of Lake Erie**
(3) Bolt The Duer (7-2) will be taking advantage of his inside post draw and will likely fire fast and right to the front early. He has had poor post luck in his last three races and was shuffled back badly in his latest. (4) Clear Vision (9-2) put up big fractions two starts back when cutting the mile at Pocono and came up short late. He too has very fast early speed and will be looking for early position.
The Play: $5 Exacta Box 3-4 and $2 Trifecta 34/134/1347 Cost: $26
Mohawk Raceway Race #9 **The Maple Leaf Trot**
(1) Sebastian K (2-5) is one of the lowest odds morning line favorites in the history of the Maple Leaf Trot. He has won all five of his starts this year and continues to dazzle. He stepped home in 1:49 two starts back becoming the fastest trotter in the world. He has shown no signs of weakness and is the one to beat. (6) Mister Herbie (15-1) comes off three consecutive second place finishes. He missed by a nose in the Breeders Crown Final last year at Pocono and always closes strong in the stretch.
The Play: $1 Trifecta Key 1/367 and $.20 Super 1/6/23457/234578910 and $.20 Super 1/23457/6/234578910 and $.20 Super 1/23457/234578910/6 Cost: $27