The Big Horse Handicapper provides a weekly handicapping column to the USTA covering races on Friday and Saturday. The USTA has given the Big Horse Handicapper a $100 mythical bankroll each week for wagering.
Over $2.2 million in purse money will be up for grabs this Saturday night as the best horses on the planet compete on a very historic night at Pocono Downs.
We will enjoy the final of the $300,000 James Lynch Memorial for 3-year-old filly pacers, the final of the $500,000 Max Hempt Memorial for 3-year-old open pacers, the $500,000 Ben Franklin final for Free-For-All pacers, and the $500,000 Earl Bean Jr. Memorial Trot for 3-year-olds.
The biggest stars will be in action including Captaintreacherous, Foiled Again, Sweet Lou, Father Patrick, and McWicked, just to name a few. All eyes will be on Pocono Downs this Saturday, be sure to visit your local track or OTB and be part of this magical night!
Last weekend we didn’t cash and lost our entire $100 mythical bankroll. But, we did manage to keep a close eye on the replays as we look to rebound with this weekend’s plays. Heading into weekend #87 we have wagered $8,519 and have cashed $6,641.
Good luck everyone!
Big Horse Selections for Saturday, June 28
Pocono Downs Race #7 **$100,000 USTA Invitational Pace**
(3) Meirs Hanover (4-1) was a huge winner three starts back when going wire to wire to defeat softer in 1:48.1 with a :26.3 last quarter. He will be firing away once again and has done very well when Ron Pierce has driven this 7-year-old. He continues to be razor sharp and must be considered here.
The Play: $10 to win and place #3 Cost: $20
Pocono Downs Race #9 **$300,000 James Lynch Memorial Final**
(4) Fancy Desire (3-1) was a powerhouse last time out firing a :54.2 half-mile and cruising to an easy victory in her elimination. She draws the perfect post and is the one to beat. (1) Uffizi Hanover (5-2) gave way late as the odds on favorite last time, but was battled to a :26.2 opening quarter. She draws the rail now and that will play in her favor with her fast early speed.
The Play: $10 Exacta 4-1 Cost: $10
Pocono Downs Race #10 **$500,000 Max Hempt Memorial Pace Final**
(3) McWicked (5-2) raced well two starts back in the North American Cup Final and then went on to win by open lengths last time in his elimination. He is again inside and Coleman has this colt razor sharp coming in as his last quarter of :27 indicates. (1) Cammikey (6-1) continues to draw well and continues to show fast late speed. He has the speed to lie close to the pace and should be well spotted early with this rail draw.
The Play: $2 Trifecta 3/1/24568 and $1 Trifecta 3/24568/1 Cost: $15
Pocono Downs Race #11 **$500,000 Ben Franklin Pace Final**
(8) Captain Treacherous (3-1) drew poorly again, but do you remember last year when he was in the Hempt Final when he was parked every step of the way and still managed a neck victory? This horse is iron tough; even though he was upset last time as the heavy choice we should expect another stellar effort in here. (3) Foiled Again (4-1) draws inside here and will be our key to use under Captain Treacherous in the exotics.
The Play: $4 Trifecta Key 8/13 $4 Trifecta Key 8/34 & $4 Trifecta Key 8/36 Cost: $24
Pocono Downs Race #12 **$500,000 Earl Bean Jr. Memorial Trot**
(8) Father Patrick (5-2) is a perfect four-for-four this year for team Takter. He trotted a :27.2 last quarter and looked strong through the finish. He draws outside, but will be firing fast right from the start. (3) Harper Blue Chip (5-1) has yet to win in his three starts this year, but has two seconds and one third. He draws a much better post here and will be a factor.
The Play: $10 Exacta 8-3 and a $3 Trifecta 8/3/24579 and $1 Trifecta 8/24579/3 Cost: $30