The Big Horse Handicapper provides a weekly handicapping column to the USTA covering races on Friday and Saturday. The USTA has given the Big Horse Handicapper a $100 mythical bankroll each week for wagering.
This weekend Stakes Action continues over the 5/8ths mile Pocono Downs in Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania on Saturday night. Feature races include the Earl Beal Jr. Memorial Eliminations for 3-year-old Open Trotters, the James M. Lynch Memorial Eliminations for 3-year-old filly pacers, the Max C Hempt Memorial Eliminations for 3-year-old Open pacers, and the Ben Franklin Eliminations for Free-For-All Pacers.
One week from Saturday night will be the finals for the above mentioned events with total purses estimated to be over $1.8 million.
Pocono Downs offers $.50 Trifecta wagering and $.10 Superfecta wagering on all of their races. They also include two reduced takeout (15%) Pick-3 wagers, and a reduced takeout (15%) Pick-4 wager beginning with Race #6.
Last weekend we cashed for $40 from our $100 mythical bankroll. Heading into weekend #86 we have wagered $8,419 and have cashed for $6,641.
Good Luck Everyone.
Big Horse Selections for Saturday, June 21
Pocono Downs Race #3 **Earl Bean Jr. Memorial Elimination**
(3) Datsyuk (3-1) raced huge in defeat last time out when blasting out of post 7 and securing a pocket trip to just miss to Father Patrick at the finish. He is further inside now and again will be primed for a big effort. (2) Nuncio (2-1) is the logical choice after three straight victories. He is razor sharp right now and is the one to beat.
The Play: $10 Exacta 3-2 Cost: $10
Pocono Downs Race #4 **James Lynch Memorial Elimination**
(7) Sayitall BB (6-1) was powerful last time out at Harrah’s Philadelphia when pacing to a huge effort 1:51.2 with a :27.4 last quarter. She has won 10 of her 13 lifetime starts and again should be forwardly placed here. (8) Act Now (5-2) is the one to beat after two giant victories at the Meadowlands. She again draws outside but has very fast speed.
The Play: $10 to win #7 and a $5 Exacta Box 7-8 Cost: $20
Pocono Downs Race #5 **Earl Bean Jr. Memorial Elimination**
(1) Father Patrick (2-1) is the one to beat, he has won all but one of his 14 lifetime starts and is a perfect 3 for 3 this year. He draws inside and is likely to be a very short price. (5) Harper Blue Chip (3-1) finished second and third in his last two races to the very sharp Trixton and again should be a factor.
The Play: $5 Trifecta 1-5-2 and 1-5-3 Cost: $10
Pocono Downs Race #6 **James Lynch Memorial Elimination**
(3) Beach Body (5-1) has been very close in her last two races and showed a nice late gain in :27.2 last time at Harrah’s Philadelphia. She should get a good trip with her inside speed and post and could be very live through the stretch.
The Play: $10 to win and place #3 Cost: $20
Pocono Downs Race #7 **Max C Hempt Memorial Elimination**
(2) Always B Miki (5-2) was put in a big deficit last time when making a break before the quarter pole. In his start prior he was a strong winner in 1:50 and has put together back to back :26 last quarters. He has very fast speed and if he behaves he will be very tough to beat. (1) Limelight Beach (7-2) gets Miller and the rail he he has speed to get a very good trip here.
The Play: $3 Trifecta Key 2/13 and 2/16 Cost: $12
Pocono Downs Race #8 **James Lynch Memorial Elimination**
(4) Also Encouraging (5-1) closed well last time out to finish second after a long uncovered outside try. She has only missed the board once in her 5 starts this year and holds a victory over the likely favored (7) Uffizi Hanover.
The Play: $10 to win #4 and a $5 Exacta Box 4-7 Cost: $20
Pocono Downs Race #10 **Ben Franklin Elimination**
(6) Sunshine Beach (7-2) Made his first start of the year last time out while using first time Lasix and closed more than 9 lengths with a :25.3 last quarter. Both (4) Captain Treacherous and (5) Foiled Again will both get heavy play and deservingly so as they have been very consistent and very fast pacers. We are going to stick with Sunshine Beach and hope for a mild upset in here.
The Play: $4 Exacta 6-4 and 6-5 Cost: $8