The Big Horse Handicapper provides a weekly handicapping column to the USTA covering races on Friday and Saturday. The USTA has given the Big Horse Handicapper a $100 mythical bankroll each week for wagering.
The C$1 million Pepsi North American Cup will take place this Saturday night from Mohawk Raceway. The top pacers and trotters in
Mohawk Raceway features a broad array of wagering opportunities including rolling $.20 Pick-3’s, $.20 Superfectas on all races and even $.20 cent Trifectas. There is also a C$50,000 guaranteed early Pick-4 beginning in race #4, and a C$100,000 guaranteed late Pick-4 beginning in race #7.
As always, when there is huge purse money up for grabs, some races appear to have standouts producing very short odds. However, with the $.20 cent Trifecta and Superfecta options, you can put together a reasonable ticket trying to beat the favorite or use long shots with the favorite and have an excellent chance at a nice payoff.
Other Stakes action include the C$272,100 Goodtimes Trot Final, the C$266,000 Armbro Flight Final, the C$330,00 Roses are Red Final, the C$100,000 Mohawk Gold Cup Invitational and the C$457,500 Fan Hanover.
Last weekend we cashed for $58 from our $100 mythical bankroll. Heading into weekend #85 we have wagered $8,319 and have cashed $6,601.
Big Horse Handicapper Selections, June 14
Mohawk Raceway Race #4, ** The Goodtimes Final **
(5) Trixton (2-5) has simply overpowered his competition in his last four races opening up through the stretch. He has shown no signs of letting up and will be very tough to beat once again. #8 Il Sogno Dream (10-1) raced big last time out having trot at both ends of his mile. He just missed at the finish to (4) Flyhawk El Durado and again should be showing early speed.
The Play: $2 Trifecta 5/8/1346910 and a $1 Trifecta 5/1346910/8 Cost: $18
Mohawk Raceway Race #5, ** The Armbro Flight Final **
(9) Bee A Magician (4-1) went perfect 17 for 17 in her 3-year-old season including her victory in the Hambletonian Oaks, and despite two very solid tries has yet to win this year. She trotted a solid 26:4 last quarter last time and is ready for another big effort. (4) Perfect
The Play: $10 Exacta 9-4 and an $8 Exacta 9-3 Cost: $18
Mohawk Raceway Race #7 **The Roses Are Red Final**
(8) Shebestingin (8-1) was roughed up last time out battling to the lead and then being battled the rest of the way before giving way late. She became the fastest female pacer in the world last year with her score at
The Play: $8 Exacta 8/149 Cost: $24
Mohawk Raceway Race #8 **Mohawk Gold Cup Invitational**
(6) Foiled Again (7-2) is the world’s richest pacer having earned over $6.2 Million and still going strong at age 10. He battled hard in the Molson Pace from post 7 at
The Play: $2 Trifecta
Mohawk Raceway Race #10 **Pepsi North American Cup XXXI**
(7) He’s Watching (5-1) was off to a rocky start three starts back in the Art Rooney Elimination as he backed through the field as the heavy 1-9 choice. But the two races after, he picked up a victory and battled well last time to be second best in his elimination. He was 8 for 8 as a 2-year-old and he looks to be gearing up for a big 3-year-old campaign.
The Play: $1 Trifecta 7/2345/23458911 Cost: $24