The Big Horse Handicapper provides a weekly handicapping column to the USTA covering races on Friday and Saturday. The USTA has given the Big Horse Handicapper a $100 mythical bankroll each week for wagering.
I am excited to be geared up for a big weekend of very prestigious stakes races taking place for both the Standardbred and Thoroughbred breed!
All eyes will be on Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner California Chrome this Saturday as he takes his shot at history in becoming the 12th Triple Crown Winner. Make plans to bring your family and friends to the racetrack and possibly witness history in the making.
The highlight north of the border will be at Mohawk Raceway. The Standardbreds are in action featuring eliminations for the Armbro Flight Trot (F&M), Goodtimes Trot (3YO), the Fan Hanover (3YO filly pacers) and of course the big event, the Pepsi North American Cup (3YO pacers).
It is the perfect opportunity to see the very best in our sport and it all happens this weekend so make sure to head out to your local racetrack and join in on all of the excitement!
Luck wasn’t on our side last week, we had several close calls but only managed to cash for $24 from our mythical $100 bankroll. We will head into weekend #84 having wagered $8,219 and cashed for $6,543.
Good Luck and have fun this weekend!
Big Horse Handicapper's Selections for Friday and Saturday, June 6 -7
Friday, June 6
Mohawk Raceway, Race #2 **Armbro Flight Elimination**
(7) Perfect Alliance (3-5) is the logical choice boasting a perfect 10 for 10 record this year. She has shown outstanding speed and trotted 1:51.2 in her latest. Others simply have yet to show similar speed and would really have to step up their game to upset this heavy choice in this race. (3) Rockin With Dewey (5-1) looks to have early speed and that should work in her favor as she will look for a trip close to the front. She has been in the money in each of her last seven races.
The Play: $12 Exacta 7-3 Cost: $12
Mohawk Raceway, Race #5 **Armbro Flight Elimination**
(5) Flyhawk El Durado (5-2) finished in the money against the likes of Trixton and Odds On Amethyst in three of his last four races. He put it all together last time out at Tioga Downs and trotted a strong :28.2 last quarter to score in 1:55.1. He will join the Gillis barn and pick up Gingras. He has speed and looks to be the one to beat. (10) So Not Cool (6-1) has improved vastly in each of his last two races and was very quick off the gate last time when drawing post 8 in a two-move victory. He is sharp, and with the right trip could be very tough.
The Play: $1 Trifecta 5/10/all and 5/all/10 and a $2 Exacta Box 5-10 Cost: $20
Mohawk Raceway, Race #8 **Goodtimes Elimination**
(5) Trixton (3-5) has overpowered his competition exploding with :26 last quarters in his last two races at the Meadowlands. None of his competition shows that much of a late kick; it is his race to win or lose. He is very sharp and will be very short at the windows. (2) Adversity (12-1) could be one that steps up here getting catch driver McNair for trainer Per Henriksen. He wasn’t far off against stake competition at Woodbine, and now draws inside.
The Play: $1 Trifecta 5/2/all and 5/all/2 and a $1 Trifecta Key 5/1279 Cost: $28
Saturday, June 7
Mohawk Raceway, Race #1 **Fan Hanover – Elimination**
(3) Nat A Virgin (3-1) looked outstanding last time romping to an easy victory against softer with a powerhouse :26.3 last quarter. That was by far her best race to date and a repeat effort would prove she is ready to go for her summer stake race campaign.
The Play: $20 to win #3 Cost: $20
Mohawk Raceway, Race #5 **Pepsi North American Cup XXXI Elimination**
(4) Lets Drink On It (7-2) closed strong last time out finishing second to He’s Watching who has won all but one of his career starts. He took his mark two starts back at Pocono pacing a big :26.3 third quarter and rolled on to win in a career best 1:49. He looks primed for a big effort here.
The Play: $10 Exacta 4/17 Cost: $20