USTA Home > News Home > Johnny Long, 91, dies

Johnny Long, 91, dies
Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - from the USTA Communications Department

       Decrease Text Size    Increase Text Size   Print  Email

Columbus, OH --- Noted former Grand Circuit farrier John “Johnny” Long, 91, died at his daughter’s home in Summerville, S.C., on June 24, 2015.

A native of Topeka, Kan., Mr. Long began a life-long association with horses as a youngster. A member of the U.S. Coast Guard in World War II, he developed his blacksmithing skills while working with the mounted beach patrols in Charleston, S.C. He later found employment with both Standardbred and Thoroughbred horses at racing centers in Aiken, S.C. and Orlando, Fla. and Vernon Downs in upstate New York.

Mr. Long was credited with keeping the great pacing sire Adios comfortable during his later years.

“His feet hurt so badly he could barely stand the weight of his own body,” Mr. Long recalled. “I developed a set of shoes that enabled him to spread his weight evenly, which made him more comfortable.”

Based at Orlando’s Ben White Raceway during winter training, Mr. Long chose a nomadic life by shifting his family to Vernon Downs during the spring and summer racing seasons, shoeing horses for many of the Grand Circuit’s top trainers, such as Del Miller, Ralph Baldwin, and Ned Bower, among many others. It was normal for him to work with from four to seven horses each day, with a high of 12 being called “a long day.”

Mr. Long, who shod many of the top horses in harness racing during his distinguished career, was well known for being able to correct hoof and balance problems.

“I remember when I had the great trotter Kimberly Kid,” the late Ned Bower recalled. “He had feet so shelly they almost refused to accept the nails needed to hold the shoes on. Johnny would take up to two hours -- some 90 minutes more than usual -- to get his feet just right. In my opinion, he was the ultimate in shoeing horses; particularity gifted with trotters.”

Not a big man as horse-shoers go, Mr. Long was known to work 12-13 hour days. When the Grand Circuit left Vernon to head westward in late July, Mr. Long would follow along, packing up the tools of his trade, work out of a tent and sleep on site during the many one-week stays that usually ended in the fall at Lexington’s Red Mile. He was also called on by trainers to fly into tracks for special assignments.

Mr. Long was preceded in death by his long-time, loving wife Mattie. He was also the devoted father of Johnelle (Jack) Long Pauley, Bobby (Chris), Matt and Leslie (Dayne) Long Caddell, as well as the grandfather of four and great-grandfather of eight.

Mr. Long’s ashes will be interred with his wife in Charleston, S.C., this fall.

Memorial contributions may be made to the project of one’s choice to aid wounded members of the U.S. military, or to a Shriners Hospital for Children.

Related Articles :

Wiggle It Jiggleit returns to the top of the Poll

Search Articles: